Retiring Old Account Page - posted on Mon Mar 1 at 14:48:02 by Timothy Collett
As part of overhauling BattleMaster's authentication system to use a more modern, secure method, we have updated the Account page to also operate through the modern Symfony framework. At present, this will only mean minor visible changes from your perspective as players—with one notable exception.
The old Account page (/userdata.php), which the current Account page replaced four years ago, will not be updated in the same way, and will be retired completely
when this update goes live in a week's time.
Because we still have some people using it, we want to try to understand what it is about the old page that you prefer, so that as we work on improving the modern Account page, we can keep that in mind. If you have thoughts on this, please come and share them in the #development channel on the BattleMaster Discord server
, or, if you're not comfortable joining us on Discord, in the Development board on the forum
or by email at email@example.com. We have no desire to leave people behind, but we can't easily justify maintaining two separate Account pages anymore with our very limited developer resources.
Happy New Year and Happy Birthday BattleMaster! - posted on Fri Jan 1 at 00:24:53 by Tom Vogt
Today marks 20 years since BattleMaster was launched.
When I launched the game I had no idea it would be such a long journey and reach so many people. Some of you may know that BM was originally a simple strategy add-on to another game, SpellMaster, which it has long since outlived. BM was always a side-project, but it taught me much and had an impact on my professional life several times as I could transfer skills I had learnt there. And it is not just the coding, it has always been at least as much if not more about the community, about moderating conflicts both in-game and on the meta level, in finding compromises between the desires of different player groups and play styles, about understanding how the game is experienced for different types of players and of developing a consistent vision without getting side-tracked by pet peeves and seemingly cool ideas.
As you can guess from the tone of this posting, it's time for me to say goodbye. I am deeply grateful to the volunteers who helped out with the game over the years, and especially Danaris and Vita who carried it for the past years.
I am off to new shores. My newest work-in-progress is called Dragon Eye and can be found here: https://notveryprofessional.com/dragoneye/
Issue with Logins - Resolved - posted on Sun Mar 14 at 21:56:05 by Timothy Collett
UPDATE: I believe I have now resolved the issue.
The latest update appears to have introduced an issue with logins that didn't show up during testing. I'm working on it; please be patient.
Recent Updates, Lich King Event - posted on Mon Mar 15 at 18:55:25 by Timothy Collett
As some have already noticed, there have been several updates recently, which are largely focused on improving things behind the scenes for developers and fixing the bugs that cropped up since the server transition. However, there are a couple of items of note for players:
- The News Ticker is no longer integrated with the forum's Announcements board, as the forum integration proved incompatible with some of the updates to the game's structure. For now the only visible differences from this are a slight change in presentation and the disappearance of older announcements (I've copied a couple of recent ones over), but we have hopes of using the fact that the News Ticker is now fully part of the game to make new announcements more prominent in various ways in the future.
- As mentioned previously, the old Account page is now gone for good. I am still strongly encouraging feedback from anyone who preferred it, as it may, in the future, be possible to offer a slightly more customizable experience on the new Account page—possibly including alternatives in presentation for the characters.
Finally, there is now a special RP event
ongoing on the Colonies: the Lich King has returned, and all now quake in terror before him! ...Or, well, at least quake in something. If you're not playing on the Colonies, you're missing out!
BattleMaster Going Early Modern - posted on Thu Apr 1 at 05:48:21 by Ethan Lee Vita
We have recently decided to expand BattleMaster's timeline a bit more to include early modernism, allowing us to incorporate more interesting features for players. As part of this plan, the first implementation has been complete - the incorporation of stock markets into BattleMaster, which all nobles may access from the Actions page. Considering the recent popularization of stockmarkets, we hope it will make BattleMaster more appealing to play to a wider audience.
New features on the agenda include:
- Unit type with gunpowder, the Musketeer
- Paraphernalia type with gunpowder, the Light Cannon
- Resource in addition to food, gunpowder
- A supply is required to maintain production of gunpowder units and paraphernalia
- If a realm's supply runs out, production stops and existing units cannot be recruited or bought
- Subclass, the Privateer
- Able to raid ships sailing on seazones
- If a Privateer has a Musketeer unit, they will have a special unit type displayed (just like Martyr for Priest/Heroes), Marines
- Only Privateers can sail with Light Cannon, and use them when raiding ships
Code Update June 2021 - posted on Sat Jun 26 at 15:21:12 by Timothy Collett
This is a major update, without much minor. Four important changes:
1. The requirement for Real Names has been removed.
2. The realm banner selector and uploader has been overhauled.
3. There is a new experimental message reader, which includes access to...
4. The Global Roleplay channel.
Click below to find out more!
Dragon Eye: Legacy - posted on Sun Jul 4 at 03:25:23 by Timothy Collett
Though Tom is no longer involved in BattleMaster, we are happy to announce his new game, Dragon Eye: Legacy. It is a 3D narrative adventure currently in early access beta.
Code Update July 2021 - posted on Tue Jul 27 at 17:18:41 by Timothy Collett
A new public Titan Hub is being launched, which contains a more comprehensive description of the role of the Titans than has previously been published in one place, as well as (once we start getting it up there) the list of public Titan Case Summaries.
Minor Changes and Bugfixes
There are a number of bugfixes and minor changes to the new message reading interface, particularly on the South Island, which had some extra issues. Highlights include fixing some ways in which the AJAX loading could fail, shrinking the time-period selector, properly implementing deletion of message filters, and much better handling of marked messages.
We've also made sure that the new travel-time indicator shows on pages updated to the new Symfony framework (including the new message reading interface), and updated the account deletion process, which was broken.
Recent Changes Sept 2021 - Updated! - posted on Sun Sep 19 at 15:01:51 by Timothy Collett
- Religions that no longer have enough Elder Priests will not collapse immediately; there will be a delay
- Rogue forces will no longer actively target realms below density
- Tournament Betting has been implemented
- UPDATE - The New Message Reader now supports including sent message in any given tab; you can add this by clicking on Edit Filters/Tabs.
(More under the cut...)
Recent Changes Oct 2021 - posted on Fri Oct 15 at 22:58:48 by Timothy Collett
- The sparse realm penalties will now stack more consistently, and will match the Region Penalty Map better
- It is no longer possible to set a bounty on yourself
- The list of Army members will now show class, rather than rank
- When characters join the realm, a quick link will be available to send a welcome message
- Some tweaks to taxes, particularly property/wealth taxes (details below)
- Travel and honour/prestige improvements for tournaments (details below)
A number of bugfixes have also gone live.
South Island Reset Coming - posted on Sun Oct 17 at 21:13:38 by Timothy Collett
With apologies for the delay, the reset of the South Island is now scheduled for Tuesday afternoon
(US time). Get ready for another all-out war to prove which of the three realms is mightiest!
South Island Rewards and Reset - posted on Wed Oct 20 at 01:42:51 by Ethan Lee Vita
Congratulations to Taselak for achieving total domination of the Seventh War Island (South Island) over Ikalak and Sandalak on July 25, 2021. And after they'd won the Sixth, too! Will they win a third-in-a-row or will Sandalak strike back? Or will Ikalak finally win its first War Island?
Taselak Victory Rewards are as follows:
- All Taselak characters who last-played in 2021 upon completion of the final takeover are considered victors
- Victors are exempt from the character reset on South Island, and have been randomly-distributed to the new South Island's 3 realms, responsible for setting up their governments
- Taselak's ruler, Scein, has had her name added to the Famous Character Names in unique item naming
- Customized unique items have been created for the government members:
- Scein Dubhaine - Scein Dubh
- Amadis Camlann - Silver Hammer of Taselak
- Armitage IV D'Anglos - Mithril Sword of Justice
- Lucius Pemrose - Black Rose
- Victors have received a family gold bonus, non-cumulative:
- Scein Dubhaine, Amadis Camlann, Armitage IV D'Anglos, Lucius Pemrose, Rev Greer, Sepia Snodaert, and Chronas Arylon have received 2k gold to their family as government members or dukes
- Lords who were not government members or dukes received 1.5k gold to their family
- Remaining victors received 1k gold to their family
- Statues have been created in each War Island capital with a full list of Taselak victor names
- Statues have been created in 3 random cities of each island commemorating Taselak's victory in general and in particular the ruler, general, and the main army of Taselak.
- A mention of victory has been added to family history, with special text for government members
South Island has now been reset, with the island in startup mode. In startup mode, there is no travelling beyond one rogue region outside the realm. Anarchy elections will be held for rulers, who will then establish governments. New character creation will be enabled Wednesday, October 27.
Reset roleplay and realm themes are as follows:
Falling into a mass slumber, everyone shared the dream Sepia had dreamt and then more. They dreamt of their Taselakian society supreme and mighty, reigning over the South Island as Taselak Undivided. They saw their future to come: the pursuit for excellence, the glory of those years, the personal growth of each victor, the favor of the gods, and Taselak's mutual happiness. And then the dreams diverged into three parallels.
Some dreamt of being ruddy, vigorous folks living in lush forests and luscious hills of abundance and plenty, the women plump and the men burly. The Apple was held sacred as representing their values and serving as a metonym for their community, sometimes rendered as the Golden Apple of Health. These people settled around Ikalak, becoming known as Ikalakians. Drifting into the terrors of nightmare, a Rider Sickness brought an ill feeling to the formerly jovial atmosphere of the dream, plaguing villages and leeching life from the soil that sustained their crops.
Others dreamt of being hard-working, resourceful citizens smithing and tinkering, wise in nature and technology, spirited in debate and brave under trial and tribulations, the women sweaty and the men grimy. Fire was held sacred as representing their values and serving as a metonym for their citizenry, sometimes rendered as the Forge Fire of Invention. These people settled around Taselak, becoming known as Taselakians. Drifting into the terrors of nightmare, a Rider Sloth darkened the formerly pleasant atmosphere of the dream, extinguishing the citizenry's fires and rotting the shafts of their tools.
Yet others dreamt of being shrewd, entrepreneurial persons of opulence, masters of logistics and language, every woman and man clad in the finest fabrics. Fleece was held sacred as representing their values and serving as a metonym for their society, sometimes rendered as the Gilded Fleece of Commerce. These people settled around Sandalak, becoming known as Sandalakians. Drifting into the terrors of nightmare, a Rider Lack brought emptiness to the formerly hedonistic atmosphere of the dream, decaying that which held beauty in the eyes of man and reducing their abundance to nothing.
All dreamt once more together, of fear, paranoia, and mistrust of those others who were not like themselves. Ikalak saw the Rider Sickness in any and all actions of Taselak and Sandalak; Taselak saw the Rider Sloth in that of Ikalak and Sandalak; Sandalak saw the Rider Lack in that of Taselak and Ikalak. Each dreamt of preparation, defending themselves against the others, to prevent their nemesis from stealing their treasures and hope for the future. Ever more distrusting and secretive did they guard their treasures in their citadels protected by soldiers pitfalls and locks. Each building their might so they can land the first blow.
Awakening with a start and in a sweat, everyone found themselves on a new South Island. Had they not been dreaming after all? Had they awoken in the future? These thoughts were given little question as all had awoken with a strong imperative towards preparing for war and domination once more, and there was much to be done. The clattering of spears, the ringing of hammers, marching men in shiny armor were heard and seen in every land.
South Island Character Creation Enabled - posted on Wed Oct 27 at 16:42:07 by Ethan Lee Vita
Character creation on the war island (South Island) has now been enabled, and the Startup phase, limiting travel to one rogue region beyond the realm, has been completed and disabled.